K-12 Public Charter School

Frequently Asked Questions

Click the questions below to show/hide the answer:

1. What kind of school is Visions?

Answer: Visions In Education is a free public charter school that is authorized by the San Juan Unified School District and is fully accredited through the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). Our charter school provides parents and students an alternative to traditional schools. With Visions, a student can choose between our Home School (K-12), Independent Study High School, or University Prep High School programs.

2. How much does it cost?

Answer: It’s free! Learn more.

3. Is Visions In Education accredited?

Answer: Yes. Visions In Education is fully accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). Credits earned while attending Visions are transferrable to traditional public schools.

4. Do we have to live in a particular school district in order to enroll?

Answer: Visions In Education serves students in these nine Northern California counties, and is chartered through a local public school district at the center of our service area. To be eligible for enrollment, students must live in any one of these nine counties.

5. How old (young) do you have to be to enroll?

Answer: Typically students must be at least 5 years old shortly after school begins and under 20; however the rules can be complicated, so please call us toll-free at 1-877-971-7037 if you or your student is close to either of these cutoffs.

6. How do I apply?

Answer: Click here to start your application today.

7. Where will I meet with my teacher?

Answer: In our Home School program, the teacher will meet you in your home. In our Independent Study or University Prep High School programs, our teacher may meet in your home, at a tutoring site, local community center, library, or coffee shop, whichever is the most effective place to learn. Learn more.

8. How do I ask someone a specific question?

Answer: Send us a message here or call us toll-free at 1-877-971-7037.

9. What is the difference between the K-12 Home School program, Independent Study High School program and University Prep program?

Answer: The main difference between the programs is the amount of parental participation required. In our K-12 Home School program, the parent is the primary educator with support from one of Visions’ credentialed teachers. In our Independent Study High School program, the main educator is a Visions credentialed teacher and students work independently. University Prep High School (EDGE) students learn to leverage technology resources to do independent and group projects, meeting in-person regularly with teachers and other students.

10. What are Common Core State Standards (CCSS)?

Answer: The Common Core State Standards Initiative is a state-led effort that established a single set of clear educational standards for kindergarten through 12th grade in English-language arts and math that states voluntarily adopt. The standards are designed to ensure that students graduating from high school are prepared to enter credit bearing entry courses in two or four year college programs or enter the workforce. The standards are clear and concise to ensure that parents, teachers, and students have a clear understanding of the expectations in reading, writing, speaking and listening, language and mathematics in school.

11. What is Smarter Balance Assessment Consortium (SBAC)?

Answer: The Smarter Balanced Assessment is a system of valid, reliable, and fair next-generation assessments aligned to the CCSS in English-language arts and math. The test is taken online, via computer adaptive testing. State tests will no longer be taken with pencil and paper. The results will provide teachers with meaningful feedback and actionable data to help students succeed. Smarter Balanced assessments will go beyond multiple-choice questions to include extended response and technology enhanced items, as well as performance tasks that allow students to demonstrate critical-thinking and problem-solving skills.

12. When is the deadline for application?

Answer: We accept applications throughout the school year for current and future semesters. Please check the Apply page for current application information.

13. Does VIE issue work permits?

Answer: Yes, Visions In Education issues work permits to qualifying students in accordance with the law and ordinances set by the California Labor Board. [Download Work Permit]

14. Is there a graduation ceremony?

Answer: Yes. While students may complete their requirements anytime during the school year and be awarded their diploma in January or in June, there is a graduation ceremony near the end of the school year. The ceremony is held at a location near the center of our service area so that it is convenient for all students. For the past 12 years, our graduation ceremony has been held at the Sacramento Memorial Auditorium.

15. How many credits does it take to graduate?

Answer: Visions In Education requires 220 semester credits to graduate. Students are typically enrolled as full-time students with a load of 30 credits per semester.

16. If I am behind in credits, can I catch up and graduate with my class?

Answer: This will depend on the student’s unique circumstance and personalized educational plan developed with the student’s counselor.

17. Are Visions In Education classes recognized by University of California and California State University systems (UC/CSU)?

Answer: Yes.

18. Do you offer AP/Honors courses?

Answer: Visions In Education offers Honors courses in the Home School and University Prep (EDGE) High School programs.

19. Do you do STAR testing? Where is the testing done?

Answer: The Standardized Testing and Reporting (STAR) program requires that all public schools in California administer standardized tests designated by the California State Board of Education to all students in grades 2 through 11. As a result, all students participate in all applicable tests. Students are typically scheduled to complete these tests at various locations throughout our 9 county service area.

20. Do you have an English Language Learner (ELL) program?

Answer: Yes. For English Language Learners (ELL) who can be successful in an independent study program, Visions provides a targeted curriculum, classes and individualized attention. Learn more.

21. Do you provide access Community College classes?

Answer: Yes. Depending upon student’s individual circumstances and availability, some students may be eligible to enroll in Community College Classes. Students will work with their Counselors to determine eligibility. Click here for more info.

22. Do you offer ROP classes?

Answer: Yes. Depending upon student’s overall grade point average and course availability, ROP courses may be taken concurrently while enrolled in Visions. Click here for more info.

Click here to request more information from our staff. You can request forms, information or a phone call to answer your specific questions.