Recognizing the AAPI Community
In May we acknowledge the accomplishments and contributions of the Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) community to the world. This month was chosen due to two significant events. On May 7, 1843, the first Japanese immigrant arrived in America, and on May 10, 1869, the transcontinental railroad, worked on by roughly 20,000 Chinese immigrants, was completed.
- Read this article to better understand the AAPI community.
- PBS is launching many new shows and movies throughout the month – see the schedule here.
- Crossings TV is also featuring AAPI heritage documentaries every Thursday – visit their programming schedule to learn more.
- Explore the Library of Congress website for online events, videos and AAPI history.
- Enjoy authentic foods – try these Asian-inspired recipes made by Northern California chefs.
- May is also Mental Health Awareness Month, find AAPI specific resources here.
Watch this fun video from BrainPOP to learn more about the AAPI community.