Congratulations to the class of 2018! 569 of our students walked across the stage at the Sacramento Memorial Auditorium on May 30 to accept their diplomas and celebrate their accomplishments.
Although 569 students participated in the graduation ceremony, our total number of grads in the class of 2018 was 819!
Capture the Memories
- Enjoy our Facebook album of over 300 photos from commencement
- Watch videos of our student performers and the graduation slideshow on our YouTube channel
- Check out photos from our students and families and share yours using our hashtags on Facebook and Instagram: #VisionsGrad, #VisionsGradCap, #VisionsSelfie and #LifeAfterVisions
Have you always wondered what all the cords and medals meant? Here’s what they mean at Visions!
- Green cords represented students that participated in our Find Your Voice writing class offered in partnership with local nonprofit 916 Ink.
- Our Success Through Education Mentoring (S.T.E.M.) students wore orange cords to symbolize their participation in our UC Davis mentoring program.
- Yellow cords were worn by students with a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or above and gold medals were also given to those with a GPA of 4.0 or higher.
- Additional medals were given to students that had earned the Seal of Biliteracy for mastering more than one language.
Quotes from the Ceremony
“You create your narrative, only you get to tell your story. And I hope you do…because your story is inspiring. Many of you persevered through challenges that could have easily detoured you from today, but you didn’t give in and you didn’t give up and you made today happen,” said Visions In Education’s Executive Director, Jody Graf, at the ceremony. “Our teachers and counselors will say that it is YOU who inspires them. That there is scarcely anything more rewarding than seeing you achieve your goals. Because they know how hard you work, they see your promise and they know how strong and courageous you are.”
Thank you to the Board of Education, Visions office staff, teachers, advisory board, SJUSD administration, parents and students for making graduation day a fun and exciting celebration!